Wednesday 11 February 2015

Killing Time with Macro

The great thing about going Mirrorless is that it gives me the freedom to shoot as and when I feel like it, without having to worry about weight and portability issues. A perfect example would be last night, while waiting for my wife - I was in the car listening to some rock classics, when I decided to go out to find some bugs to photograph. I almost always carry my set-up everywhere I go anyway, since it is so lightweight!

These are some of the shots that I managed to capture in just under an hour and 15 minutes, at a park right next to the car lot.

*Click on Image to Enlarge*


1. This Kidney Garden Spider (Araneus mitificus), probably a sub-adult (due to its size and coloration), was found hiding under a leaf. Its abdomen reminded me of the Pringles logo.


2. It was 'cooperative' and did not move much so it gave me a lot of close-up opportunities!


3. Larger specimens seem to have a yellowish tinge on parts of its legs especially the tarsus and metatarsus region.


4. Another point of view.


5. Almost a frontal shot. Almost.



6. Almost a side profile. Almost.


7. What a beautiful arse! Can't believe i actually said that!


8. This wasn't cropped much. I added extension tubes for greater magnification and cranked up the exposure compensation!


9. A male Telamonia diminiata, commonly known as the Two-Striped Jumper that was too huge to go unnoticed.


10. A mandatory butt shot. ;P


11. I wasn't kidding when I said I did not put down my camera. Just recompose and shoot!


12. Another mandatory side-shot.



13. Okay now, he is getting tired. Time to move on to another find!


14. A record shot, so you know what it really looks like.


15. And came along this monster.



16. I am suspecting that it is a Pancorius sp., but pls do not quote me on this.


17. What a handsome/pretty little spider!


18. It is probably about 15mm in length and it could not stop jumping, for the life of me.


19. Record shot of this magnificent jumper.


20. I found this larva (?) by accident while looking at some ants. It was probably less than 5 mm in length. Really tiny.


21. It appeared to be 'cutting' some parts of the plant (a dried-up flower bud?). Probably to add to its camouflage?


22. It is really amazing to see up-close how some animals, regardless of size, use their environment as a resource.


So the next time you have some time to kill, ask yourself : What interesting bugs can I find today? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment